Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas from Tanzania!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!
So here in Tanzania it is Christmas Day. I have been listening to a bunch of Christmas songs lately to try to make it feel more like Christmas. I have made my own version of classic Christmas songs to kind of sum up what Christmas is like for me here in Tanzania.
"Let It Blow"
   Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fan is so delightful.
Since we no place to go
Let it blow! Let it blow! Let it blow!
  It doesn't show signs of dropping.
Sweat from my brow I'm mopping.
Since I don't like my sweat to flow
Let it blow! Let it blow! Let it blow!
   When we finally get to the night
How I love going in the wind storm.
But if the electricity goes with the light
All through the night I'll be warm.
   The mosquitoes are a flying
And to the sun we're still goodbying.
We hope that the temp stays low.
Let it blow! Let it blow! Let it blow!

"It's Not Beginning to Look at All Like Christmas"
   It not beginning to look at all like Christmas
Anywhere you go.
You can lay in the sun with the book
Green everywhere you look
Feeling chill in the air? Heavens no!
     It not beginning to look at all like Christmas
Sand all over the floor.
But the scariest sight to see
Is the snake that might be
By your own front door.
   To get away from the heat
And maybe even get a seat
On the Doladola we wish.
The fan we want to feel
And to have a nice meal
With chicken or beef or fish.
And rice and beans I long to have
Cuz Ugalui's not my favorite dish.
     It not beginning to look at all like Christmas
Anywhere you go.
There's palm trees by the seashells.
And wherever you look as well.
Sturdy kind that doesn't mind the wind blow.
   It not beginning to look at all like Christmas
Soon the drums will start
And the thing that will make them sound
Is the song that will pound
Right within your heart.

"The Electricity Song"
  Ugali cooking on an open fire
Mosquitoes nipping at your toes.
African songs being sung by a choir.
Electricity that cones and goes.
  Everybody knows that electricity that glows
Help to make that houses bright
But they when the electricity goes
Will find it hard to sleep tonight.
  They hope electricity is on its way
And that it will be here to stay
And every mother and child is going to cry
When to electricity they say goodbye.
  So I'm offering this simple phase
To all from 1 to 92
Although its been said few times few ways
"Much electricity to you!"

"A Holly Jolly (Ugali) Christmas"
  Have a holly jolly Christmas
It's the best time of the year.
I know there won't be snow
At least not any here.
  Have a holly jolly Christmas
And when you walk down the street
Say Jambo to friends you know
And everyone you meet.
  Oh ho the beans and rice
And for lunch Ugali
Something else would be nice
Eat something just for me.
  Have a holly jolly Christmas
And in case you didn't hear
Oh by (U)golly have a holly jolly
Christmas this year.

That is all I have for now. I hope you have enjoyed my African version of these classic Christmas songs. I would like to tall you how I have spent my Christmas this year. The people left on the base all were included in their version of Secret Santa which they called "Angel." On Christmas Eve we were to guess who are Angel was. I had Mama Faith. I gave her pop, crackers, lotion, and a pot. I was worried that she would know exactly who it was since I do not know Swahili that well. We did this for a day before Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve we had a wonderful lunch of rice, chicken, and salad. It was a nice break from the Ugali lunch. After the lunch we all headed to the beach. It was so much fun! It was the first time they had gone to the beach as a group. Many people did not know how to swim. Actually pretty much all of them did not know. My friend Kapesha was the only Tanzanian that knew. So it was funny to watch the look of terror and excitement on their faces as they went in the water. They like to play a lot of games. We had races, tug of war, wrestling. It really was so much fun. We did not really have dinner. But during dinner we had a little service with worship. We had snacks after the service. During snack time we played the Angel game where we guessed who are Angel was. I guessed Kapesha and I was right. Mama Faith did not know her Angel! I was very happy about that. On Christmas Day I went to church with Dr. Joel. It was a Swahili church. These church services last so long! We were there 4 hours and we left early! After that I went to a missionary's house that I know from a long time ago, Eric Belz. The Belz family are American. It was so nice! We were at this house that was owned by these people from Zimbabwe. They had a nice house with air conditioning! And they were great cooks!! So that is how I spent my Christmas holiday.
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! I miss you all! Merry Christmas from Tanzania! =)

1 comment: